Mini Tooth Implants Compared To Regular Dental Implants
Losing your teeth can be devastating. Whether from trauma or gum disease, it is critical that missing teeth get replaced for optimum oral health. At The Dental and Denture Care Center, we offer dental implants as a possible solution for replacing missing teeth. However dental implants are not for everyone. In many cases, we offer mini tooth implants as an alternative and less expensive dental treatment. What’s the differnece?
Traditional Dental Implants
Dental implants are a fairly new dental procedure and have become one of the most popular treatment procedure for replacing missing teeth. The implants have a titanium rod that is inserted into the bone of your jaw. The bone then fuses around the rods integrating them as a stable root replacement to support your teeth. It is important that enough jaw bone is available in order to support the implant.
What Are Mini Tooth Implants?
Mini tooth implants are quite simply, smaller versions of regular dental implants. In order to be considered for traditional dental implants, you must have sufficient bone mass in your jaw in order to support the surgery. However, gum disease and tooth loss can often erode some of the jaw bone. At that point a bone graft is required to repair the damage, which requires several months of healing. Mini dental implants allow patients to avoid the bone grafting process.
The mini dental implants are also constructed of a titanium rod approximately the thickness of a toothpick. The mini dental implants are fitted with a small ball on the exposed end and allows the implant to snap into place.
What Is The Mini Tooth Implant Procedure?
The procedure for installing mini dental implants is similar to that of regular dental implants. Anesthetic is applied to the areas where the implants are being placed. An incision is performed in order to expose the jawbone. We then drill into the bone in order to insert the implants. The gums are then stitched around the implant and you are provided temporary teeth while the area heals properly.
Once healed, we willl work on creating your permanent teeth. We take an impression of your mouth, which are used to construct your new teeth. Once finished, the new teeth are fitted into place.
What Are The Benefits Of Mini Tooth Implants?
There are several benefits to having mini dental implants inserted, including the following…
- They are less expensive compared to traditional dental implants.
- Because the mini implants are smaller, they can fit into smaller areas of the mouth and are actually ideal for those that have smaller teeth.
- They do not require as much bone mass in order to be properly supported, eliminating the need for a bone graft if bone loss has occurred.
- The surgery is less invasive, requiring less downtime
Mini implants can also be used to support traditional dentures. Dentures are often held in place by adhesives or suction. As a result, dentures can sometimes slip or fall out. Mini dental implants allow the patient to be able to securely snap their dentures in place keeping them stable.
What Is The Difference With Mini Tooth Implants and Traditional Implants
Traditional implants and mini dental implants are both used to replace missing teeth. However, there still are many differences between the two procedures.
- Mini dental implants are significantly less expensive
- Mini dental implants are about the thickness of a toothpick. Regular implants are between 3.5 to 5.8 millimeters in diameter, which is almost a quarter inch
- Mini dental implants require less healing time
- Mini dental implants can be used to stabilize dentures
- Mini dental implants can beused in the event of bone loss allowing a patient to avoid having to use dentures
- Traditional implants require more bone mass
- Traditional implants provide more stability and are a longer term solution to replacing missing teeth
- In some cases, two mini dental implants may be needed to provide the same support as one traditional implant
If You Have Suffered Tooth Loss, Mini Tooth Implants May Be Right For You
Mini tooth implants and traditional dental implants are a good solution for replacing missing teeth, each with their own unique benefits. To find out if you are a candidate, call The Dental and Denture Care Center today at (352) 848-1050 or contact us here on our website. Our team of dental experts are here to give you the best smile of your life.
HAPPY TEETH = HAPPY LIFE!
Choose your smile
Get In Touch
Send us a message below, and we will respond back within one business day.